If you are having difficulty reaching your hair goals then it’s time to change how you approach your hair care. In this post I will share four ways you can improve your natural hair routine. They aren’t necessarily ground breaking or cutting edge but they will change how you approach your natural hair care.
In an upcoming video I will share the practical steps you can take the elevate your natural hair regimen.
If you can’t wait to see it in summary to the point fashion, below is a more in depth look at what will be discussed:
One of the biggest things you can do to improve your natural hair routine is get organized.
Here are some ideas for getting organized with your hair regimen:
- Minimize the products you use in your hair. Having a ton of products at your disposal doesn’t allow you to hone in and focus on what’s best. There’s too much randomness and not enough organization with a multitude of hair care products.
- Write down your wash day regimen. I like to keep this is my planner. It’s more for accountability sake than instruction.
- In your planner (doesn’t ‘have to be a Happy Planner), have a section for personal care to keep track of the hair treatments you may do on a less regular basis (Example: protein treatments, Henna treatments, hot oil treatments)
For further ideas on getting organized:
2- Plan for it
Pick a set day to wash, deep conditioner and “re-set” your hair. Also, set times that you can dedicate the time and attention to your hair.
You’ll want to wash your hair each week (or every two weeks) on a set schedule. That’s what a routine is all about. It’s having a set time to address your plans for healthy hair care.
If you know that you use a lot of products in your hair, you’ll want to clarify your hair on a regular basis. This can take a little more time to do so plan for it.
The same goes for moisturizing your hair. I like to moisturize my hair every couple of days before I turn in for the evening. It’s a plan that keeps me accountable to my hair care and I even use a tracker to make sure I do it.
Of course, plans can quickly change. This is especially true in the day and age we are living in. The pandemic has often forced us to make changes to our daily routines. Therefore, have an alternate day (and times) set aside to take care of all your hair care needs.
3- Set the mood
Now this way of improving your natural hair routine isn’t actually a method. It’s about getting you in the right head space.
I hear so many naturals complain about how they dread wash day and how natural hair is too much work.
What I will say to that is, “You get out of it what you put into it.” If you want to improve your hair routine, you can’t be dreading it. If you do, you’ll rush and be haphazard with how you handle your hair.
So with that, here are some ideas to help you get in the mood to do your hair:
- Have all your favorite hair products laid out the day or night before doing your hair. Simply, seeing some of your favorite products waiting for you can spark joy.
- While deep conditioning, do so with a candle lit and some relaxing music playing in the background.
- Have you ever watched a cleaning or organizing video and then decided you wanted to do the same? Well, that can work for doing your hair too. Check out 1 or 3 videos of your favorite YouTubers doing their hair. It just may put you in the mood to do your own.
4- Review your natural hair goals
Lastly, if you really want to improve your natural hair routine, try revisiting why it is that you went natural or decided to remain natural to begin with.
Do you want to avoid toxic chemicals in hair products?
Is it your desire to grow long hair?
Do you want more curl definition?
What ever your goals are for your hair, revisit them regularly. Keeping your goals before your eyes helps you to visualize the fruition and to stay committed to the process.
If you have been doing all but even one of these four ways to improve your hair care routine, try doing them all. Sometimes all it takes is making small tweaks for you to improve your hair regimen.